Current:Home > ContactWill Sage Astor-Former MSU football coach Mel Tucker accused by wife of moving money in divorce -FundTrack
Will Sage Astor-Former MSU football coach Mel Tucker accused by wife of moving money in divorce
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 02:38:18
The Will Sage Astorwife of former Michigan State University head football coach Mel Tucker has filed for divorce and accuses him in a request for a restraining order of pulling money without notice from their joint funds, including $1.5 million to pay his legal expenses.
Jo Ellyn and Mel Tucker were granted a mutual restraining order preventing "the dissipation of marital assets" on Thursday by a judge in Ingham County, Michigan, court records show. Her divorce complaint was filed with the court three weeks earlier, on April 5.
In her petition for the restraining order, Jo Ellyn Tucker indicated she sought the order because just before she initiated the divorce action, Mel Tucker withdrew all the money from his two retirement accounts, including his Michigan State account. She said he transferred them to an individual account to which she did not have access.
She also accused Tucker of spending more than $1.5 million from their joint line of credit to defend himself in third-party litigation, which she described as not a marital expense, plus another $100,000 since the divorce filing – as recently as April 23. The amount he has spent on litigation, her petition said, is excessive "compared to the balance of the parties' marital estate."
Mel Tucker and his attorney did not immediately return messages seeking comment.
Mel Tucker was sued in Ingham County court in October by Brenda Tracy, a prominent rape survivor and activist who accused him of sexually harassing and exploiting her – allegations substantiated by an MSU investigation. She was granted a restraining order to stop him from releasing private text messages he had obtained from the cellphone of her deceased best friend and business assistant, which she said contained personal and business information. That litigation is ongoing.
Last month, Tracy also filed an intent to sue Tucker and the university – a mandatory precursor to filing a lawsuit against a government agency – accusing him of damaging her reputation and future earnings, hamstringing her charitable work and causing severe psychological and emotional harm.
Tracy and her nonprofit, Set The Expectation, which aims to reduce sexual violence by engaging men, are seeking damages of more than $75 million.
Mel Tucker had hired Tracy in August 2021 to speak to his team about sexual violence prevention. After their initial meeting, he expressed interest in Tracy’s cause of engaging men as the solution to gender-based violence, and they struck up a professional relationship and friendship. Over the next year, Tucker twice invited Tracy back to East Lansing, first to be the honorary captain at a Spartans football game and again for a future training with coaches and players.
USA TODAY Investigation:Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker accused of sexually harassing rape survivor
During that time, Tucker made a series of romantic overtures toward Tracy, who would later tell campus investigators that she walked a tightrope trying to set boundaries with Tucker while maintaining their business partnership. Each time, she said, he initially pulled back, then resumed advances that increased in severity. The pattern culminated in a phone call in April 2022 in which Tracy said Tucker masturbated and make sexual comments without her consent.
Tracy said the next – and last – time they spoke, in August 2022, Tucker threatened to ruin her career if she spoke out about his conduct. She filed a complaint with the university's Title IX office that December.
A USA TODAY investigation in September revealed the allegations for the first time publicly. MSU fired Tucker for cause two weeks later, canceling the roughly $75 million remaining on his record 10-year, $95 million contract. Even Tucker's version of events – that he and Tracy had been in a romantic relationship and had consensual "phone sex" – constituted a fireable offense, athletic director Alan Haller wrote in his termination letter.
After a seven-month inquiry by an outside investigator hired by MSU, a different outside hearing officer concluded in October that Tucker sexually harassed and exploited Tracy in the April 2022 phone call; made unwanted sexual advances toward her in the eight months before the call; and engaged in quid pro quo sexual harassment afterward when he ended their business relationship.
Another outside attorney hired by MSU denied Tucker's appeal in January, affirming the hearing officer's decision that Tracy's version of events was more plausible, consistent and supported by the evidence.
Tucker and his attorneys indicated he would sue MSU for wrongful termination. To date, they have not done so.
Kenny Jacoby is an investigative reporter for USA TODAY covering sexual misconduct and Title IX. Contact him by email at [email protected] or follow him on X @kennyjacoby.
veryGood! (62672)
Related
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Georgia’s governor says the state will pay a $1,000 year-end bonus to public and school employees
- Jordan Davis nearly turned down his viral moment on Eagles' Christmas album
- Georgia election workers file new complaint against Giuliani, days after $148 million award
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin to resume abortions at its Sheboygan clinic within days
- G League player and girlfriend are arrested in killing of woman found dead near Las Vegas
- Keke Palmer's Ex Darius Jackson Accuses Her of Physical and Verbal Abuse in Response to Restraining Order
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Witnesses, evidence indicate Hamas committed acts of sexual violence during Oct. 7 attack
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards gives final end-of-year address
- Charlotte Hornets' Miles Bridges denied entry to Canada over legal situation, per report
- Elf Bar and other e-cigarette makers dodged US customs and taxes after China’s ban on vaping flavors
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Major cleanup underway after storm batters Northeastern US, knocks out power and floods roads
- NFL suspends Steelers' Damontae Kazee for rest of season for hit on Colts receiver
- California set to become 2nd state to OK rules for turning wastewater into drinking water
Recommendation
'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
Trump lawyer testified in Nevada about fake elector plot to avoid prosecution, transcripts show
Turkey links Sweden’s NATO bid to US approving F-16 jet sales and Canada lifting arms embargo
Tesla, Mazda, Kia, Volvo among 2 million-plus vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Apple to stop some watch sales in US over patent dispute
Mason Rudolph will get the start at QB for struggling Steelers in Week 15 vs. Bengals
4-year-old boy killed in 'unimaginable' road rage shooting in California, police say